Our boat is a 40 foot Sailing Catamaran built by Fountaine Pajot in France.
We named her after the Singaporean Kaya, a traditional egg-coconut jam whose delicious taste and creamy texture made it synonymous with the Malay word for "rich". Kaya has various meanings in different languages that sound earthy or wise. But we picked it mostly because we just like to eat kaya (with bread and butter).
She is a three cabin Owner’s version (vs 4 cabins for the charter version). She is a blue-water sailing vessel that isn’t too big or too small but just the right size for us and a few adventurous friends.
Her specs are:
- L.O.A.: 11.73m / 38.4 ft
- Beam: 6.63m / 21.7 ft
- Draft: 1.21m / 3.9 ft
- Overall height: 4.385m /14 ft
- Material: Polyester Fiberglass
- Sails: Genoa: 398.2 sqf / 36.5 m2; Mainsail: 625 sqf / 57.5 m2; Gennaker: 731.9 sqf / 68 m2
- Engines: 2 x 20 HP Yanmar 3YM30
- Fuel: 300 l / 79 US gallons